This year, Palm Sunday falls on April 10th, and Eastertide starts on April 17th. If you're a church in the UK looking for some tips on how to celebrate, you've come to the right place!
In this blog post, we will discuss everything from paschal candles to altar wine. We'll also provide some helpful resources for those who want to learn more about the traditions and symbolism associated with Palm Sunday and Eastertide. Thanks for reading!
Tip 1: Use paschal candles to celebrate the Easter season.
Paschal candles are an important part of any Palm Sunday or Easter service. They can be used to symbolise Christ's victory over death and his resurrection.
Paschal candles can also be used to represent the light of Christ, which guides us through our lives. Paschal candles can be decorated by yourselves - or you can buy them with wax reliefs already placed. There are so many selections to choose from.
These Easter candles are super for your church during Palm Sunday and Eastertide celebrations. These candles will help remind people that Jesus Christ was born into this world, died on the cross of Calvary, rose again from the grave three days later, ascended back up into heaven forty days after his resurrection, and will return one day.
Tip 2: Use palm ash on Ash Wednesday.
Palm ash can be used during Palm Sunday celebrations, or even for Eastertide services. The use of palm ash during these festivities symbolises Christ's victory over death and his resurrection.
You may want to consider using palm ash on Ash Wednesday, which falls between February 21st and March 20th every year. This year Ash Wednesday is on the 2nd March 2022. Palm ashes should be sprinkled or dipped into holy water, before being applied onto the foreheads of believers as they enter the church building, where an Easter service will take place later that day.
Tip 3: Use Palm Leaves and Palm Branches on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.
Palm tree leaves are a great way to decorate your church during the Easter season. They can be used as altar cloth, tablecloth, napkins, decorations around doors frames and window sills. These leaves can also be hung from trees outside your property, with string or wire attached to each branch.
Palm branches have a blessing of the palms during Palm Sunday celebrations, and even for Eastertide services. The palm leaves are then folded into palm crosses and saved until Ash Wednesday. Here are six ways to fold a palm cross, if you fancy giving it a try.
Tip 4: Use Altar Wine and Altar Breads for Holy Communion.
Altar wine and altar breads are two other important items that can be used during Palm Sunday and Eastertide celebrations. These items are used to celebrate the sacrament of Holy Communion, also known as the Eucharist. The holy communion bread is consecrated and then distributed among believers who participate in the sacrament.
You may want to consider using altar wine and holy breads during your church service, which will help remind your congregation of the importance of Jesus Christ's sacrifice on the cross of Calvary and his resurrection from the dead.
Tip 5: Play Easter hymns and songs.
Easter is a time when believers come together to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. What better way to do this than by playing Easter hymns and songs in your church or other religious institution? These types of songs will help create an atmosphere conducive to worshipping God and thanking Him for sending his Son to save humanity.
Tip 6: Get your Sunday school children involved.
One of the best ways to get your Sunday school children involved in Palm Sunday and Eastertide celebrations is to help decorate, prepare food for the potluck meal that often takes place after service, or even lead prayers during the service. These types of activities will help children learn more about these important religious holidays, and will help them feel more connected to the church.
Tip 7: Have a potluck meal after service.
A potluck meal is a great way for believers to come together and celebrate Palm Sunday and Eastertide. Not only will this type of meal allow people to share food, but it will also give them the opportunity to socialise and catch up on what's been going on in each other's lives. Try some of these potluck meal ideas.
Tip 8: Have an Easter egg hunt on Palm Sunday of Eastertide.
Easter egg hunts are a great way to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead and his ascension back up into heaven forty days later. You can have your church host an Easter egg hunt for children in your congregation on Palm Sunday.
An idea is to place these small tokens around your church, village on Holy Saturday night/Sunday morning, just before dawn breaks, while people are still asleep. All - parents & grandparents - will have a real family event!
Tip 9: Easter Vigil
To celebrate Easter Vigil, churches may need to provide additional items, such as a Paschal candle, altar cloths, embroidered corporals and other liturgical items.
For the Easter Vigil Mass, churches will need:
- A Paschal candle of a suitable design and size. The paschal candle is lit from a new fire at the start of the service. In 2022, this will be done on the Vigil of Easter itself.
- Altar cloths – at least three, white or light-coloured, with a cross in the centre
- A processional cross and banner for the entrance procession
- Chalices and patens for Holy Communion
- Linen cloths to cover the altar
- A missal & missal stand
- Two candles for the Easter Candle stand
- A stole for the priest
- A vigil candle for each person to hold in the procession
- Altar flowers – Easter Lilies are traditional, but other flowers may be used. The use of potted plants is also permitted.
- Church candles on side altars
- A tabernacle veil, if the tabernacle is not on the altar
Tip 10: Get Creative with Your Easter Celebrations!
- Make sure you advertise your services and events. Create posters and flyers that explain what you are doing, when and where it will happen.
- Take advantage of technology like Facebook Live or Zoom to share your Easter worship services online with those unable to join in person!
- Plan a special outreach event for the community during Holy Week, such as a Good Friday walk, Easter egg hunt, or sunrise service.
- Decorate your church in an Easter-themed way! There are many ideas out there for how to do this, so get creative and have some fun.
- If weather permits, consider having an outdoor Palm Sunday or Eastertide service. Not only will this allow people to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine, but it will also give them the opportunity to worship God in a more natural setting. Plus, it can be a lot of fun!
Happy Easter! 🐣💕
Buy Your Eastertide Church Supplies Today
In conclusion, here are some final tips for your Palm Sunday and Easter celebrations. At Vanpoulles, we have been selling Easter Supplies as part of our Church supplies service since 1908.
We are the best church supplier in Liverpool and the North West of England. If you need any help or advice, please do not hesitate to contact us here.